Dealer License Renewal Notice
The following renewal notice will be emailed from the Department of Motor Vehicles on February 14, 2014
IMPORTANT RENEWAL NOTICE- PLEASE COMPLY BY APRIL 30, 2014
CONTACT YOUR LOCAL REGIONAL OFFICE WITH ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS
To all independent dealers, auction dealers, wholesale dealers and salvage dealers licensed in the State of Florida
Your current license will expire on April 30, 2014. The attached renewal application form HSMV 86720 for Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home, or Recreational Vehicle Dealers is being provided for the renewal of the primary location and supplemental locations (if applicable) on your Florida dealer’s license. The renewal license is for the licensure period May 1, 2014, through April 30, 2015.
Additional copies of form HSMV 86720, “Renewal Application for Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home, or Recreational Vehicle Dealers” can be located at the Department’s website at http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BFO/86720.pdf. Please note that for your convenience, a list of the Division of Motorist Services, Regional Offices, and a list of Department approved dealer training schools and check lists of required documents for the primary and supplemental locations for specific license categories have been provided with form HSMV 86720. You can also access the list of Regional Offices at http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/BUR_Field_Ops_Address.pdf and the Dealer Training Schools at http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/L_Dealer_Trng_Sch.pdf.
To ensure that your license stays active, your renewal application, all required documentation, and fees must be submitted to the Division of Motorist Services, Regional Office responsible for your dealership on or prior to April 30, 2014.
Important Information of Biennial Renewal Option: House Bill 7125 passed giving dealers the option for biennial renewal of their license. This law went into effect on July 1, 2013. The Renewal form HSMV 86720 will allow for the option of renewing for a two-year period.
INDEPENDENT (VI), WHOLESALE (VW), AUCTION (VA), AND SALVAGE (SD) MOTOR VEHICLE DEALERS are required to submit the following documentation with their renewal application:
- Completed license renewal application form HSMV 86720.$75 annual renewal fee for the primary location. If the completed application, all required documents, and fee are not received for the primary location by April 30th, a $100 delinquent fee is due for a total renewal fee of $175. Checks must be made payable to DHSMV.
- $150 biennial license renewal fee if you are opting for a biennial (two years) renewal. Checks must be made payable to DHSMV.
- An original surety bond, original irrevocable letter of credit, or original continuation certificate in the amount of $25,000 for motor vehicle dealers, auction dealers and independent dealers. The Dealership’s Principal must sign the surety bond and Irrevocable Letter of Credit.
- Copy of proof of Garage Liability insurance which must include at a minimum, $25,000 combined single limit liability coverage including bodily injury and property damage protection and $10,000 personal injury protection or a general liability policy coupled with a business automobile policy which must include at a minimum, $25,000 combined single-limit liability coverage including bodily injury and property damage protection and $10,000 personal injury protection. Signature of the insurance agent is required on all insurance policies.
Please note: Salvage Dealers are exempt from Garage Liability Insurance
- Online Dealer License Continuing Education course certificate of completion or an Online Dealer Pre-Licensing Training course for independent dealers only. [ELP Compliance offers both continuing education as well as dealer pre-licensing courses. The online dealer continuing education course is $17.95 and the online dealer pre-licensing course is $139.95.]
- Copy of certification from the Division of Corporations showing current registration of the business and fictitious name(s) (on-line access at .
- Completed license renewal application form HSMV 86720 including current business e-mail address.
- $50 annual renewal fee.
- $100 biennial license renewal fee if you are opting for a biennial (two years) renewal. Checks must be made payable to DHSMV.
- A copy of the surety bond, irrevocable letter of credit, or continuation certificate that was filed with the renewal of the primary lot.
- A copy of the certificate of garage liability insurance or a general liability insurance policy coupled with business automobile policy that was submitted with the primary location renewal application. This certification must include at a minimum, $25,000 combined single limit liability coverage including bodily injury and property damage protection and $10,000 personal injury protection. Copy of the certificate of garage liability insurance or general liability insurance is required and must be signed by the insurance agent.
Please Note: Salvage Dealers are exempt from submitting a proof of garage liability insurance coverage.
A renewal filed with the Department within 45 days after the expiration date shall be accompanied by a delinquent fee of $100 for a total renewal fee of $175. Delinquent renewal applications will only be accepted through June 14, 2014. Thereafter, you will have to apply for a new dealer license with an original application form and required fees.
If you allow your license to expire, you must cease operations on May 1, 2014, and will not be able to engage in motor vehicle sales transactions until the renewal process has been completed. If you have no intention of renewing your dealer license, please surrender your license for cancellation to the Division of Motorist Services, Regional Office responsible for your dealership.
Any update to your corporation name, address or officers should be submitted using form HSMV 86056, application for a License as a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home, or Recreational Vehicle Dealer . All other modifications to your dealer license should be submitted using form HSMV 86072,”Modification to Dealer License for Licensed Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home, or Recreational Vehicle Dealers.” Please submit this form to your Division of Motorist Services, Regional Office with your renewal application. For future reference any change in corporate information should be submitted to your local Division of Motorist Services, Regional Office at the time the change occurs.
As you are aware, the Department has moved to electronic communication of important notices, renewals and legislative changes to the licensed dealers statewide. Therefore, it is important for you to update your renewal application with a current business e-mail address for your dealership. Please avoid using e-mail addresses of your staff on the application, as notices may not reach your dealership if the staff member no longer works at the dealership. Please advise the Regional Office responsible for your dealership of changes in your business e-mail address immediately.
It is our desire to provide prompt and courteous service to all of our dealers. Please help us to help you by submitting your renewal application and all supporting documentation no later than April 30, 2014. If you have any questions, feel free to contact your Division of Motorist Services, Regional Office.
Valuable information on licensing procedures and requirements can be accessed at the Department’s website at http://www.flhsmv.gov/html/titlinf.html and selecting “Dealer, Manufacturer, Distributor and Importer Information.”